Monday 24 April 2017

Ten Librarian Life Lessons (Number nine will SHOCK you!)

I was recently invited to speak to a group of folks from the ELISA Collaborative ACLIP Programme on the theme of innovative work in general. I could of given a dry presentation about my job, but I thought I would experiment with something a little more exciting.

It can be difficult to translate lessons from one type of Librarianship to another - some of the things I've learned in order to support Chemistry for example, are of little use anywhere near Law Librarianship. So rather than specifically talk about what's it's like to work as an academic Librarian in the applied sciences (I tell people I work with all the "-ologies") I thought, why not talk about the type of thinking I use in my work? And in the age of the BuzzFeed list, lets make it exciting with some pretty, but rather meaningless pictures!

Ten Librarian Life Lessons


Don't ask for permission to do great things. Ask for resources.

I think it might be something that professional women struggle with, but we have a tendency to phrase everything as a question. In a way, we’re almost always asking for permission. I feel this devalues our ideas, reduces the chances that we'll succeed, and diminishes our self-confidence. I guess what I’m saying is that we need to be more assertive, not just in how we communicate, but also in how we show ownership of our ideas.

Projects are rewarding, but also get rewarded.

I work in a very project-oriented environment. If something isn't part of a "project" then it tends to fall by the wayside. One thing that I like about the different projects I've been involved with over the years is that they keep me sane. They are opportunities to do and learn new things, and to work with different people. They are also a means of recognition. Unfortunate as it is, I've found that people very rarely get kudos for business as usual.
Shout about your successes. It takes a lot to be heard.

It’s important to keep a record of the good work you do, and to be proud of it. Share your successes in internal newsletters, on social media, at knowledge sharing events, seminars, conferences etc. You might feel like you’re boasting sometimes, but there are desperate people out there who need you as their inspiration! There's also your boss, who needs to hear about the good work you're doing.

Experiment and Share. Null results are still useful.

Try stuff out once in a while. Not everything you do is guaranteed to work amazingly, and a good manager will already know this. Librarianship is one of those professions that lends itself well to reflection, and what is reflection if not contemplating your mistakes, learning from them, and improving for next time?

Sharing your failures, expected and unexpected is also okay. In science, a null results describes the outcome of an experiment where the result does not support the hypothesis. Well, it's actually a little more complicated than that, but you get the general idea. Even if they're frequently overlooked in favour of experiments with sexy p values, null results are still incredibly important. Others can still learn from them!

It's not luck. It's creating your own opportunities.

When we attribute our professional successes to luck, we're devaluing all the hard work that went into achieving them. You're not lucky, you're a hardworking information professional! I also think that success if largely down to making your own opportunities. Respond to the call for speakers/papers. Network and know who to ask with when you need something. If you see a gap service or resource provision that you could fill, don’t wait for someone to come along a do it for you, or even worse – give you permission!

Speak their language.

Management types understand management-speak. If you want them to understand the needs of your service, then frame your discussion in a way that they will understand it. An example of this is using 'strategic language' or linking what you do back to organisational strategy. If you can show how your service/idea/resource supports the organisational strategy, then you are demonstrating its value.

But this is as much about respect, as it is playing the game. Something I've noticed about my teaching is that I have a 'teacher voice.' It's a voice that I use when I'm trying to be patient, and I've realised that it sometimes borders on condescending. That realisation alarmed me. Diction, clarity, and tone are all well and good, but what about authenticity? I now make a point of speaking with students not at them.

Inclusivity is always a positive thing.

I have had colleagues who are obsessed with their particular user-group. They only help staff for example, or academic staff, or academic staff who are externally funded. I’ve never found limiting who benefits from my services to be a good thing. That's probably because I'm a Librarian, and Libraries are for everyone, after all. That said, be aware of stepping into others' territories, or ‘stealing’ their customers. When this happens, ask ‘what can we collaborate on?’ Do get the people around you involved though! Learn from them, share your own ideas.

Two of my favourite phrases are ‘all are welcome’ and ‘the more the merrier.’

Integrity is important. Hold onto it.

There’s this mistaken idea that Librarianship is a neutral profession. Information, and the people who possess, trade, and share it can never be truly neutral. What we do is incredibly political and it’s important to remember that, treasure, defend, and be proud of it.

Unfortunately, having letters after your name is still important.

I told you it would be shocking! It is a strange thing for an academic Librarian to say, but my personal opinion is that a heavy emphasis on qualifications and accreditation is elitist, as it tends to privilege a particular group of people over others. However, postgraduate qualifications are meaningful to those who make hiring decisions. So is accreditation, such as ACLIP, MCLIP, AHEA, and FHEA.

Be prepared for change, and lots of it.

Duh. Lots of little changes, and some big ones too. This may mean finding a new job. Actually, chances are it will mean finding a new job. But it could also mean learning new skills, or a completely different way of working. The library and information professions are headed for lots of change, and you’ll only survive it (and have any chance of enjoying it along the way) if you can adapt and be flexible.

So there you have it. Librarianly life advice, from someone who has yet to hit thirty! I won't finish this post off with a bunch of OMG and LOL buttons, but if you did feel like sharing your own advice in the comments or on twitter, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment